No guarantees! Roy Hodgson warns Jack Grealish over England future

first_img Jack Grealish Roy Hodgson has refused to offer Jack Grealish any promises over his England future.The Aston Villa youngster declared his international allegiance to England earlier this week after much deliberation.Grealish, 20, was born in Solihull but has Irish grandparents and could have opted for the Republic of Ireland, having represented them at youth level.Hodgson believes he has made the right decision in choosing the Three Lions and is happy to have him available.But he insists the midfielder has his work cut out to win a place in his squad – and has told him that face-to-face.“I think it is the right decision, frankly he is English having met him and his father, it is an English family albeit with fairly distant Irish roots,” he said.“I think he has got the talent to be an England player, he has a lot of work today before that day is concreted – but I was happy that in a choice between the two countries he took the bolder decision to try and be an England international.“I was keen to point out to him and his father that there are no guarantees from my point of view – one thing I can categorically say is that the only way he will get into the England squad is if he is one of the best 23.“We can’t offer him any sweeteners or bonuses because you have made a decision to play for England.” 1last_img read more

Liverpool and Arsenal blow! Spanish wonderkid Dani Ceballos signs new Real Betis deal

first_img1 Spanish wonderkid Dani Ceballos has shunned the interest of Arsenal and Liverpool to sign a new contract with Real Betis.The 19-year-old has been tipped for a big future and was scouted by Real Madrid during the opening games of the season.Both Arsenal and Liverpool have also been monitoring the midfielder, who is capped by Spain at under-21 level.However, Ceballos has rejected all their interest and instead extended his stay with Betis due to his love of the supporters.“The renewal was what I had been waiting for since Betis opened me the door to the first team,” Ceballos told Betis’ official website.“I’m very happy. I hope to enjoy many triumphs with Betis and make the the fans happy.”Ceballos’ new contract will run until 2020 and contains a release-clause of £8.8million. Real Betis starlet Dani Ceballos last_img read more

Newcastle target Dutch legend Clarence Seedorf as replacement for under-fire Steve McClaren – reports

first_imgNewcastle are lining up Clarence Seedorf as a replacement for Steve McClaren, according to reports in Italy.McClaren has managed just two league wins since taking over at St James’ Park in the summer and his side sit just one point above the relegation zone after 13 games.According to Calciomercato, former AC Milan midfielder and coach Seedorf held positive ‘secret’ talks with Toon directors and may be installed as the club’s new manager should the Magpies lose their next Premier League game away to Crystal Palace.Despite his inexperience as a manager, the Dutch legend is still held in high regard across Europe after a stellar playing career.Newcastle seem willing to offer him another chance to prove himself as a coach after a miserable four months in charge of AC Milan in 2014. getty Seedorf is feeling positive about Cameroon’s chances at AFCON center_img 1last_img read more

Arson fire in Santiago Canyon said to be 30 percent contained

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.The U.S. Forest Service announced it was closing the Cleveland National Forest, just east of the burn area, until the wildfires ringing it were brought under control. About 600 firefighters from around the region were assigned to the Santiago blaze. Four helicopters and four airtankers are expected back on the job shortly after sunrise. Damage from the fire was estimated at $10 million. Anyone with more information as to the cause of the fire was asked to call the arson tip line at (800) 540-8282. IRVINE – The nearly 20,000-acre arson fire that has destroyed about a dozen homes in Orange County horse country east of Irvine was about 30 percent contained today, as the offshore winds that have fanned the flames started to let up. One of the most active fronts on the so-called Santiago Fire — Orange County Fire Authority Chief Chip Prather said it was started near Santiago Canyon and Silverado Canyon roads about 5:55 p.m. Sunday, and three points of origin were identified — was burning in the in the area of Modjeska and Silverado canyons. Though the Santa Ana winds were starting to let up, forecasters predicted another day of temperatures in the 90s coupled with dry conditions. Evacuations remained in place for virtually every community east of Irvine. Evacuees were being sheltered at El Toro High School in Lake Forest and at El Modena High School in Orange. last_img read more

Immigrant mom challenges incumbents

first_img“I would like a member of the school board to participate in the student site council to support communication skills with district teachers and parents,” she said. “I will make communication with the community a priority.” Davis, 79, says she is seeking another four-year term for the same reason she ran in 1986 – to help children. “Anything I can do for kids I’m there for them,” she said. “I want kids to get up there and be somebody.” Davis has lived in Lennox since 1963 and said she has always been involved with the schools. Her son graduated from Lennox High School in 1976, and her grandchildren and great-grandchildren have attended district schools. She has served on the board of the Centinela Valley Youth Service since the early 1990s. Although Davis is the only board member and only candidate who doesn’t speak Spanish, she supports the district’s bilingual education program. But she wants to see more students speak fluent English at an earlier age. “I don’t want to take away their Spanish or anything,” she said. “But we’ve got to prepare our kids.” Superintendent Bruce McDaniel said 80percent of students in the district are learning English. Davis said everyone in the district should be helping students excel. “We’ve got to make sure that everyone’s in tune together,” she said. “We all have to work together.” Fajardo, who replaced Trini Jimenez on the board after he moved out of the district, said she wants trustees to focus on lifting student achievement, and she believes more parental involvement is needed to make that happen. “More than anything we need to get our parents involved,” she said. “We need to have an open school policy where parents feel comfortable to come to the schools and (we need to) help them understand the school process.” Fajardo, whose 5-year-old daughter attends Moffett Elementary, said she wants to hold training sessions for parents that will teach them about their children’s school system. After teaching for nine years at Lennox Middle School, Fajardo, 34, began this year teaching algebra at Animo Jackie Robinson High School, a charter school in the Los Angeles Unified School District. She worked for three years at Loyola Marymount University as assistant director of bilingual programs and was part of the university’s adjunct faculty. Instead of continuing to try out new programs, Fajardo believes Lennox needs to reflect on past mistakes. “I want us to stop trying things, and I want us to start evaluating things,” she said. “We’re hitting and missing. I don’t want us to miss, I want us to reflect.” One issue the winning candidates will need to reflect on is declining enrollment in the 6,800-student inner-city district. McDaniel said enrollment is down 19 percent over the past five years. As a result, the tiny district under the flight path of Los Angeles International Airport has lost more than $5 million in state money, he said. Whoever captures seats on the board Tuesday will need to deal with a reduced budget because of those lost state funds and be open to acquiring money in other ways, McDaniel said. laura.davis@dailybreeze.com160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Mercedes Ibarra, president of the Moffett Elementary PTA, is trying to topple one of the two incumbents – Mary Davis, first elected in 1986, or Angela Fajardo, who was named to fill a board vacancy in May. Ibarra, who moved to Lennox 15 years ago after emigrating from Nicaragua, said she wants the school board to interact more with the largely immigrant community. Ibarra, 44, said the school board decides issues “only at the table. They don’t come to the different schools to see problems and listen to the parents, listen to the teachers and listen to the students.” The mother of two girls who attend Lennox schools, Ibarra is in her second year as Moffett PTA president. She formerly owned a clothing store and is now taking night classes to improve her English. Ibarra wants to get board members out in the field more, specifically to school site councils. LENNOX: PTA president faces school board veteran and a new appointee. By Laura E. Davis Staff Writer A Lennox school trustee with 21 years of experience and another appointed to the board just five months ago face a challenger in Tuesday’s election who says she can do better. last_img read more

TASK FORCE TO CREATE NEW BROADBAND SERVICE WILL FAST-TRACK DONEGAL’S RECOVERY – SENATOR HARTE

first_imgSenator Jimmy Harte has said Minister’s Pat Rabbitte’s announcement of a task force to ensure high speed broadband is delivered across rural Ireland is a major platform on which Donegal can build for the future.The Letterkenny-based Senator said many rural areas just a couple of miles outside urban centres in Donegal have been left behind because of the lack of broadband service.“The announcement by Minister Rabbitte of the setting up of a taskforce to extend next generation broadband across the country is a welcome development. “The commitment to ensure broadband connections to all rural properties that can not access broadband at present is particularly welcome for areas more than three or four miles outside urban areas in my constituency.“Minister Rabbitte, through a combination of public and private investment, aims to ensure that Ireland reaches an EU target for ubiquitous basic broadband access a year ahead of the 2013 deadline,” he said.He said the arrival of next generation broadband will not only create jobs but speed up economic recovery across the region.“Next generation broadband is an essential component of our economic recovery. The availability of high speed broadband is crucial for business and job creation, as well as being crucial to attracting outside investment. “I would also welcome Minister Rabbitte’s commitment that the provision of coverage for the one per cent of premises nationally that cannot currently receive broadband, would be completed by 2012 at the latest.“The failure of successive Fianna Fáil Governments over the past decade to roll out adequate connectivity has left Ireland well behind our international competitors in the broadband stakes.“The commitment from the FG/Labour Government to maximise the potential in full broadband coverage, as well as the move to next generation broadband will have benefits in terms of job creation as well as associated social benefits.And he added “It is time for Ireland to be brought into the 21st century. Labour in Government will deliver for Ireland and is committed to next generation broadband across the country.”Ends TASK FORCE TO CREATE NEW BROADBAND SERVICE WILL FAST-TRACK DONEGAL’S RECOVERY – SENATOR HARTE was last modified: May 9th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:broadbandSenator Jimmy Hartelast_img read more

DONEGAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY GOES BUST

first_imgLAGHEY-based WJ Dolan Construction (Ireland) Ltd has gone bust.The Donegal business – part of the group in Tyrone – was closed down by Ulster Bank.Another related company, Latlorcan Developments, which behind homes in Monaghan, is also in administration. The Donegal-based business had assets of €4m, but owed more than €5.5M.The company is well known in the North West because it was once the main sponsors of the Tyrone GAA county team. © 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights Reserved The copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law. Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldailySell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.com  DONEGAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY GOES BUST was last modified: December 9th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DONEGAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY GOES BUSTwj dolanlast_img read more

DONEGAL FISH FARMERS HIT BY VAST ALGAE BLOOM, SAYS IFA

first_imgA massive algae bloom threatening the Co Donegal shellfish industry is being made worse by red-tape bureaucrats, the Irish Farmers Association has claimed.The bloom has spread along the west coast – and closed two beaches for a time earlier this week…at Murvagh and Rossnowlagh.Now fish farmers in Donegal Bay and further north to Mulroy, Sheephaven, Traweenagh and Lough Swilly could suffer. The phytoplankton known as Karenia has destroyed anything from 20%, to 80% in rare cases, of stocks in shellfish farms with oyster beds worst hit.Richie Flynn, of the Irish Farmers’ Association, said the 120m euro industry employing 2,000 people nationally has been let down by successive ministers and top civil servants.“There’s nothing we can do about the algae, it’s like the weather. But this is not a new or unmanageable situation,” he said.“It is to do with form filling. We fully understand the science but this is not about biology or cross contamination. You fill in the forms and send them in and they sit there. “We need to clear the massive backlog of licence applications to give businesses the flexibility to move stock away from such blooms. We have members who have been waiting up to seven years for a response to applications.”Lugworms have been killed, cockles and oysters are also falling victim and Rossnowlagh and Murvagh beaches were closed because of the amount of dead fish washed on to the beach, he said.The bloom occurs naturally at sea in warm humid conditions.It’s known as the red tide because of the colour it turns the water. DONEGAL FISH FARMERS HIT BY VAST ALGAE BLOOM, SAYS IFA was last modified: July 12th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

‘Liverpool won’t win the Premier League now!’ Fans react to sad news

first_img Kolo Toure in action for Liverpool It’s the sad news we all feared was coming: Liverpool are releasing Kolo Toure.The 35-year-old centre-back has been a beast for the Reds over the last three years since joining on a free transfer from Manchester City.Stoic showings against Real Madrid, amongst others, have earned him cult hero status on Merseyside.As a result, some fans have been left devastated and you can see their reaction on Twitter below… 1last_img

Datebook

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita Gallery LA will showcase works by Francesco Modigo and Susan Matthews, 2-7 p.m., 5108 Lankershim Blvd., North Hollywood. Exhibit will run through Jan. 31. Call (818) 761-7784. Sierra Club sponsors night hikes at Griffith Park. Meet at the merry-go-round at 6:45 p.m. Hikes begin at 7 p.m. Free. Calabasas will have a Planning Commission agenda meeting, 7 p.m., City Hall Chambers, 26135 Mureau Road, Calabasas. Conejo Valley Mothers and More will host its monthly meeting, 7:30-9:30 p.m., Westlake Village Civic Center, 31200 E. Oak Crest Drive, Westlake Village. Call (818) 880-2211. The Mustang Club will hold its annual meeting, 7-8:30 p.m., Abe’s Deli, 19626 Nordhoff St., Northridge. THURSDAY: Moderate hike, 8:30 a.m., Wilson Canyon Park, in Sylmar. Meet at the park trailhead. Exit Roxford Street from I-5. Parking: $3 per car. American Indian arts and crafts will be featured, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., San Fernando Rey de Espaa, 15151 San Fernando Mission Blvd., Mission Hills. Skirball Cultural Center will feature the first-ever American retrospective on German painter Max Liebermann, through Jan. 29, and the exhibit “From Haven to Home” through Feb. 12, the 350th anniversary of the first Jews to settle in the U.S., 2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd., Los Angeles. Museum hours are noon to 5 p.m., Sun. 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed Mondays. Museum of Television & Radio will present a screening of “50 Years of Muppets & Jim Henson,” 12:30 p.m., 465 N. Beverly Drive, Beverly Hills. Call (310) 786-1025. Free with admission. A tribute to clarinet virtuoso Benny Goodman will be held, 8 p.m., Pepperdine University. Tickets: $35. Call (310) 456-4000 or visit www.pepperdine.edu for location and directions. Mail Datebook entries – including time, date, location and a phone number – to Daily News City Desk, P.O. Box 4200, Woodland Hills, CA 91365; fax (818) 713-0058; e-mail dnmetro@dailynews.com. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more