Layou women receives assistance following Layou flooding

first_img Share Tweet LocalNews Layou women receives assistance following Layou flooding by: – January 20, 2012 10 Views   no discussions Sharing is caring!center_img Share Share Hon. Kelver Darroux. Government has secured funds under the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) to assist women in the Layou community who have been affected by last year’s flooding in that community.Parliamentary Representative for Layou Kelver Darroux said in a statement on Friday that the women are currently benefiting from a $US20, 000.00 made available by the UNDP.“After the collapse of the Matthieu Dam in Layou last year, a meeting was held with the women in that community and staff of the ministry of finance and coming out of that, a report was submitted to the cabinet and funds to the tune of US$20,000.00 were approved to target the women in Layou. One of the areas that they will benefit is terms of the provision of 25 coolers. The women usually have their fish and titiri for sale and that will assist them in storage,’ Darroux explained.The women will also benefit in capacity and enhancement where 25 women will complete a training program in health and sanitation which will be conducted by the Environmental Health Department.“Upon completion they will be certified as food handlers. There will also be another component to that program where 25 women will be trained in the areas of training and international cooking which will be conducted by the adult education division,” he added.He said the aim is to empower women in the Layou community.Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more

AVB laments Spurs failure

first_img Press Association “Nevertheless, England was a great experience.” Sherwood looked to have the perfect chance to start his reign at Spurs with a win on Boxing Day, but his team came up short against strugglers West Brom. The Londoners looked vulnerable at the back and had to settle for a 1-1 draw after Jonas Olsson equalised Christian Eriksen’s opener. Given that Sherwood has been thrown into the job during the hectic festive period, midfielder Lewis Holtby believes the new manager and his coaching staff must be given time to adapt. “The (coaches) who are in, they’ve only had a short time. It’s not that easy for them to come in and show you a different style,” Holtby said. “We’re trying to adapt that as quickly as we can and I think we’re positive about the coming weeks. I think we can get there quickly. “I think they’ve done a really good job coming in here in a very hectic period of the season, and we just have to follow their lead and try to do everything they say.” Sherwood bristled at suggestions that he is keeping the manager’s seat warm for a more experienced coach following Thursday’s game. He will have little time to gather his composure as his team face Stoke on Sunday afternoon before travelling to Manchester United on New Year’s Day. Then Tottenham have the small matter of an FA Cup tie against bitter rivals Arsenal three days later. Still, Holtby is glad that the uncertainty surrounding the club’s future direction has been put to bed. The German said: “In football it’s always very important that you have a structure and you have a plan, and it’s good that we have these guys in now and, with everything they’re showing us, we’re trying to adapt as soon as possible.” ends That much was evident on Boxing Day when a group of home fans at White Hart Lane booed their team off following an underwhelming 1-1 draw against West Brom. Villas-Boas, speaking for the first time since his dismissal, is disappointed that he could not repeat the success he enjoyed at Porto, where he won three trophies during his first and only season in charge. “I wish I could have responded to the confidence shown by the fans with a trophy,” Villas-Boas told Portuguese newspaper O Jogo. “I had great ambitions to win a trophy this season.” With his reputation in England having taken a big hit, Villas-Boas looks set to be planning a return to the management on the continent. The 36-year-old was not short of offers last summer. He rejected overtures from Paris St Germain while Real Madrid were also said to be interested in his services. He has recently been linked with AC Milan. In the interview he refers to his time in England in the past tense, and talks of “re-positioning” his career, suggesting that he will not be looking for a new post in the Barclays Premier League any time soon. “This is a time of reflection for me and my staff, and for repositioning of our careers,” he said. Andre Villas-Boas rues his failure to deliver at Tottenham and has dropped a heavy hint that his next job in management will not be in England. After lasting less than nine months at Chelsea, Villas-Boas had a chance to rebuild his reputation at Tottenham, but the Portuguese was sacked last week following a humiliating 5-0 defeat to Liverpool. Many Tottenham fans were annoyed at the sacking of Villas-Boas, and the appointment of managerial novice Tim Sherwood as his replacement. last_img read more