Layou women receives assistance following Layou flooding

first_img Share Tweet LocalNews Layou women receives assistance following Layou flooding by: – January 20, 2012 10 Views   no discussions Sharing is caring!center_img Share Share Hon. Kelver Darroux. Government has secured funds under the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) to assist women in the Layou community who have been affected by last year’s flooding in that community.Parliamentary Representative for Layou Kelver Darroux said in a statement on Friday that the women are currently benefiting from a $US20, 000.00 made available by the UNDP.“After the collapse of the Matthieu Dam in Layou last year, a meeting was held with the women in that community and staff of the ministry of finance and coming out of that, a report was submitted to the cabinet and funds to the tune of US$20,000.00 were approved to target the women in Layou. One of the areas that they will benefit is terms of the provision of 25 coolers. The women usually have their fish and titiri for sale and that will assist them in storage,’ Darroux explained.The women will also benefit in capacity and enhancement where 25 women will complete a training program in health and sanitation which will be conducted by the Environmental Health Department.“Upon completion they will be certified as food handlers. There will also be another component to that program where 25 women will be trained in the areas of training and international cooking which will be conducted by the adult education division,” he added.He said the aim is to empower women in the Layou community.Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more

Duterte signs law expanding protection of journalists’ sources

first_img “It is an omission that must be filled, an anomaly that must be corrected. The journalists envisioned by the Sotto Law cannot be confined to print practitioners,” Del Mar said. Under the law, divulging a journalist’s source shall only be required should the court, House of Representatives, or the Senate or any of the committees of congress find that such revelation is important for the security of the state. “Any publisher, owner, or duly recognized o accredited journalist, columnist, manager, media practitioner involved in the writing, editing, production and dissemination of news for mass circulation of any print, broadcast, wire service organization, or electronic mass media, including cable television and its variants can only reveal the source of his/her information if the court or the House of Representatives or the Senate or any committee of Congress finds that such revelation is demanded by the security of the State,” stated under the provision of the law. MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte has signed into law a measure that allows the broadcast and online media not to reveal sources of their stories, just like the journalists. Rep. Raul del Mar, who authored the House’s version, said that an amendment to the existing law is needed as it does not mention anything about journalists from broadcast stations, news or wire agencies and internet newspapers, magazines and other publications. Duterte signed Republic Act (RA) 11458, or the act expanding the coverage of exemptions from revealing the source of published news or information obtained in confidence by including journalists from broadcast, and news agencies, more known as the “Sotto law.” “When Republic Act 53 was enacted, electronic journalism was almost non-existent, while the internet was not even a dream,” he added./PNlast_img read more