Arsenal complete deadline day signing of Thomas Partey

first_imgDespite missing out on Aouar, Arsenal have enjoyed a productive window with their defence significantly strengthened by the addition of Gabriel Magalhaes and attack already benefiting from the experience and talent of former Chelsea star Willian.Cedric Soares and Pablo Mari also signed permanent deals after initially joining on loan in January, while Runar Alex Runarsson will provide back-up to Bernd Leno following the departure of last season’s FA Cup hero Emiliano Martinez. MORE: Arsenal set to complete deadline-day deal for Nikolaj Moller as striker signs four-year contractMORE: Arsenal set to complete deadline-day deal for Nikolaj Moller as striker signs four-year contractFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Advertisement Arsenal complete deadline day signing of Thomas Partey Comment Advertisementcenter_img Metro Sport ReporterMonday 5 Oct 2020 11:07 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link8.5kShares Arsenal have completed the deadline day signing of Thomas Partey (Picture: Getty)Arsenal have completed the deadline day signing of Thomas Partey from Atletico Madrid. Mikel Arteta has been desperate to reshape his midfield this summer and after sanctioning the departures of Lucas Toerreira and Matteo Guendouzi, he has finally landed the Ghana international.Arsenal had earmarked Houssem Aouar as their No.1 target but have been monitoring Partey’s situation for the last six months and after failing to agree a fee with Lyon for their gifted midfield technician, turned their attention to the 27-year-old in the final days of the summer window.The apparently cash-strapped north London club activated Partey’s £45million release clause earlier on Monday and the all-action midfielder subsequently penned a four-year contract said to be worth £250,000-a-week. AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTAtletico Madrid beat the Gunners to the announcement by confirming on Twitter that Arsenal had bought out the midfielder’s contract. .@Arsenal pay Thomas Partey’s buyout clause at LaLiga headquarters. The player has unilaterally terminated his contract with our club.ℹ https://t.co/drrGYXEokH— Atlético de Madrid (@atletienglish) October 5, 2020last_img read more

Trump Threatens To Force Congress To Adjourn

first_imgTrump said pro forma sessions are a scam and a dereliction of duty. (Washington, DC) — We are four months away from the 2020 Presidential election and the current president still has not gotten more than one hundred appointments past Congress. Many of whom are instrumental in helping the country handle the COVID-19 outbreak.Yesterday, President Trump said he has the authority to force Congress to adjourn so he can make the crucial appointments. In a White House briefing, Trump urged the Senate to stop gaveling-in pro-forma sessions when lawmakers aren’t in town. That would allow him to make recess appointments without those officials being approved by the Senate. Trump railed against the “partisan” obstructionism he said had held up 129 appointments who could all be helping in the coronavirus response.“It’s always roadblocks or a waste of time,” he said. “If the House will not agree to that adjournment, I will exercise my constitutional authority to adjourn both chambers of Congress.”“The current practice of leaving town while conducting phony pro forma sessions is a dereliction of duty that the American people cannot afford during this crisis,” he said.“It is a scam what they do,” Trump said.Pres. Trump threatens to adjourn both chambers of Congress so he can make appointments to fill vacant positions and judicial slots.“If they don’t act on getting these people approved,” Trump says, he will have to do something “that I prefer not doing.” https://t.co/KXv4M8zNFm pic.twitter.com/M9IJLoCzI9— ABC News (@ABC) April 15, 2020last_img read more

Tunisian referee banned after controversial CAN 2013 semi-final performance

first_imgTunisian referee Slim Jdidi has been banned by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) after his controversial performance in Wednesday’s African Nations Cup semi-final between Burkina Faso and Ghana.“CAF was not happy with the standard of refereeing in the match,” general secretary Hicham El Amrani told a media briefing on Thursday.“We know they can make mistakes but we expected a better level of refereeing. They are graded on each performance and based on his marks the referee from Tunisia is now suspended for a period of time still to be determined.”Among the contentious issues during Wednesday’s match in Nelspruit was the red card given to Burkina Faso forward Jonathan Pitroipa that could mean he will miss Sunday’s final against Nigeria.Pitroipa received his second booking of the game, for simulation, in extra time after going down in the penalty area.The organising committee will decide on Friday whether the player can take part in the final. Burkina Faso have launched an appeal but El Amrani said the only way Pitroipa could avoid an automatic one-match ban will be if Jdidi acknowledges he made a mistake in his referee’s report.“The organising committee does not have the power to change a referee’s decision,” El Amrani explained.“If the referee has admitted a mistake in his report the committee will consider it and make any decision if necessary. But that report … is final.”Jdidi also awarded a soft spot kick to Ghana in a display which threatened to overshadow an exciting encounter that Burkina Faso eventually won 3-2 on penalties.last_img read more

Gabe Kapler: Phillies players could have been ‘more engaged’ last season

first_imgHe said he didn’t know if players were playing video games during regulation, but called it “100 percent unacceptable,” if it is true.”In the middle of the summer, the chemistry of the clubhouse was very good,” Kapler said. “As we struggled at the end, understandably, tensions ran high. When that happens, players tend to react.  Carlos Santana smashed TV after Phillies played Fortnite during games “Carlos became frustrated as happens in high-tension situations. He responded by smashing up some TVs. I don’t think that’s uncommon. I don’t think it’s uncommon to see players get frustrated in high-tension situations. That happens in every clubhouse environment.”Kapler said he spoke to Santana about the incident and said he will have many more boundaries set as the 2019 season gets underway.”We are putting steps in place to ensure that when tensions run high again, players communicate and look out for each other,” Kapler said. “I care deeply about our clubhouse culture and we are collectively doing everything we can to continue to monitor these situations, and to improve that.” Gabe Kapler said the disappointing end to the Phillies season had much to do with the players’ attitude.According to the Phillies manager, once the team’s slide began — they lost 20 of their last 28 games — many players checked out and didn’t seem to care about trying to finish strong. “I think in September our players could have been more engaged,” manager Gabe Kapler told reporters Monday, via NBC Sports. “With the players I thought could have been more engaged, those conversations were had. I addressed every situation that clearly needed to be addressed last year in appropriate settings.”Kapler also responded to former Philly Carlos Santana’s admission he smashed a TV in the clubhouse because some team members were playing Fortnite during a game against the Braves. Related Newslast_img read more