Abeid joined the Magpies from Lens in July 2011 and was handed a senior competitive debut in a Carling Cup fourth-round victory at Nottingham Forest in September of the same year. However, having made only three first-team appearances during the first half of last season, he was sent on loan to Scottish side St Johnstone in January with manager Alan Pardew admitting some of his young players had not developed as he would have liked. Panathinaikos have announced the signing of Newcastle midfielder Mehdi Abeid on a season-long loan deal. The 20-year-old, who was born in France to Algerian parents, will spend next season in Greece after failing to make his mark at St James’ Park. A statement on the Greek club’s official website, www.pao.gr, said: “Panathinaikos FC announces that it has entered into an agreement with Newcastle United for the one-year loan of Algerian international footballer Mehdi Abeid.” Press Association
Comments Kris Joseph made it a goal for himself when he was in high school. Whatever college he went to, he wanted to score 1,000 points. To him, the mark signified being part of an elite group of players.On Monday, Joseph joined that group.The senior small forward needed four points to reach 1,000 for his career heading into Syracuse’s 92-56 win over Manhattan. He got three of them on a triple from the left corner just more than two minutes into the game. And that last point he needed to break 1,000 came on another 3-pointer from the left wing.‘Just growing up, I always told myself whatever college I go to, I want to be a part of that club,’ Joseph said. ‘I think it’s an elite club to be a part of, and I’m fortunate enough that I was able to do it here at Syracuse University.’But Joseph didn’t stop there. That second 3-pointer triggered a stretch in which he scored eight points in just more than a minute. On SU’s next possession, he buried another long-range dagger from almost the exact same spot on the floor, forcing Manhattan to take a timeout.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textAnd on the ensuing Jaspers possession after the stoppage, the Orange senior got a run-out and converted a two-handed slam.‘I was feeling it,’ Joseph said. ‘That was it. I shot with the big ball I’m back to my routine shooting with the big ball before the game starts in my little warm-up. I was just feeling hot. I knew I was four points away from 1,000. I was just trying to get them as quickly as possible.’Joseph finished the game with 15 points and seven rebounds.After the game, Joseph looked back on the moment when the public address announcer told the Carrier Dome crowd Joseph had reached the 1,000-point mark. He said he remembered as a freshman when Paul Harris reached 1,000 points and also when Rick Jackson did it last year.And he knew he wanted that special moment of his own.‘It was a great feeling,’ Joseph said. ‘I remember hearing it for Paul Harris. I remember how happy he was. And I remember them doing it for Rick. I wanted it for myself, so it was a great feeling.’Freshman Cooney redshirtedWith his hands on his backpack straps, Trevor Cooney gave a slight shrug of the shoulders before he answered. The saddened look on his face told the story, and there’s nothing he can do at this point.‘It’s disappointing, obviously, because you come here to college to play,’ Cooney said. ‘But there’s four really, really good guards in front of me and older guys. All I can do is take this year to get better and learn from those guys.’Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim announced Cooney will redshirt this year, following Monday’s win over Manhattan. He stressed this situation had nothing to do with Cooney’s readiness or playing ability, but rather the logjam in front of him at both of the guard positions.Cooney enters the 2011-12 season as the fifth guard in the SU rotation, and Boeheim felt playing only a couple of minutes a game, if at all, wasn’t the best option for the freshman.‘Sometimes a guy does redshirt because he’s hurt, but this is different,’ Boeheim said. ‘Usually, it’s because they’re just not good enough to play yet, and that’s not the case. … When you have four guards ahead of him, he’s not going to play a significant amount of time.’Boeheim mentioned that former players Andy Rautins and Lazarus Sims, among others, redshirted as freshmen and went on to become team leaders and great players as fifth-year seniors. He feels that Cooney, known for now primarily as a shooter, has a chance to become that same type of player.Cooney did see the court in both of SU’s exhibition games. He had seven points on 3-of-4 shooting against Cal State-Los Angeles and three points against St. Rose.Though disheartened, Cooney said it feels good to know Boeheim has confidence in his future within the program.‘That just shows how much trust he has in me, and it’s cool to hear him say things like that,’ Cooney email@example.com@syr.edu Published on November 14, 2011 at 12:00 pm Facebook Twitter Google+
Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on January 24, 2016 at 8:59 pm [View the story “Syracuse community reacts to loss against No. 13 Virginia” on Storify] Comments
Wellington Police notes for Wednesday, October 23, 2013â€¢3:21 a.m.Â Officers investigated suspicious activity in the 600 block of N. Plum.â€¢7:37 a.m. Nicholas J. Layton, 21, Wellington was arrested, confined and bonded for being charged with speeding 45 mph in a posted 25 mph work zone and driving while drivers license suspended.â€¢10:28 a.m. Officers investigated a theft of a cell phone in the 300 block of E. Lincoln.â€¢10:50 a.m. CatherineÂ M. King, 25, Wellington was issued aÂ notice to appear charged with dog at large and no collar/tags on dog.â€¢3:14 p.m. Tanya R. Chancellor, 40, Wellington was issued an nta for Speeding 33 mph in a 20 mph school zone and expired registration.â€¢5:44 p.m., Officers investigated a non-injury accident ,in the 500 block of E 16th, involving a vehicle operated by a juvenile female, 16, Wellington and a parked and unoccupied vehicle owned by Amy R. McClure, Wellington.â€¢7:05 p.m., Officers investigated suspicious activity in the 900 block of N. Woodlawn.â€¢8:35 p.m. Brandon J. Huerta, 22, Wellington was issued a notice to appear charged with no tail lights.
Kenya will feature in the play-offs after losing 53-28 to Namibia in the African qualifiers in August, and Snook has brought in five players from the country’s seven-a-side team to bolster his 30-man squad.“The sevens players have brought a good maturity to the squad. They are experienced people, they have been overseas, (they are) obviously quality players and so I think they have added an edge to the group and so we are looking forward,” Snook said.After Canada, Kenya will face Hong Kong on November 17 and Germany a week later.The winner in Marseille will join reigning champions New Zealand as well as South Africa, Italy and Namibia in Pool B of the Rugby World Cup in Japan.Kenya squad: Patrick Ouko, Moses Amusala, Joseph Odero, Hillary Mwanjilwa, Ephraim Oduor, Colman Were, Philip Ikambili, Oliver Mangeni, Wilson Kopondo, Malcolm Onsando, Simon Muniafu, Andrew Omonde, George Nyambua, Dalmus Chituyi, Elkeans Musonye, Joshua Chisanga, Davis Chenge(capt), Martin Owilah, Samson Onsomu, Mohammed Omollo, Sammy Oliech, Darwin Mukidza, Leo Seje Owade, Peter Kilonzo, Collins Injera, Nelson Oyoo, Felix Ayange, William Ambaka, Tony Onyango, William Reeve.Share on: WhatsApp Nairobi, Kenya | AFP | Kenya are hoping to clinch the final place at the 2019 Rugby World Cup in next month’s play-off tournament, coach Ian Snook said on MondayA Kenyan victory at the round-robin contest would mark the first time for the 15s team at the World Cup.Head coach Ian Snook said he regards first round opponents Canada as the strongest opponent in the four-team repechage, which gets underway at Marseille’s Stade Delort on November 11.“They are all well-organised, well-prepared, and they are good quality sides at this level so no game over there is going to be easy,” Snook told AFP in Nairobi.“Canada are obviously well prepared, they have been together for a while, they are a professional organisation and they will be backing themselves to go to the World Cup again.“We will have to play well on the day because that’s what we are planning on doing, it will be a big task but nothing is impossible,” he said.
A poll conducted last week by WebMD found that 1 in 10 Americans believe they have been infected with COVID-19 over the last 30 days, although few of them have had access to testing in order to confirm their suspicions.Only about seven percent of those who thought they had the novel coronavirus were actually tested for it. Out of those, two-thirds tested positive for the virus.The poll, which was conducted on April 20 and 21, had 6,300 respondents.WebMD says that of those individuals who said they were not tested, 39 percent explained they did not meet the testing criteria, while 28 percent said they did not think they needed a test, and 25 percent added that testing was not yet available in their area. Another 16 percent stated they were concerned about seeking treatment.In addition, new data collected in our region suggests that more than 100,000 people in Miami-Dade County may be infected with the virus.That information comes from the Surveillance Program Assessing Risk and Knowledge of Coronavirus, also known as SPARK-C. It is a public-private partnership designed to determine the actual rate of COVID-19 exposure in the community.Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez and researchers from the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine held a virtual news conference on Friday to discuss the data.Gimenez said, “Using statistical methods, we are 95 percent certain the true amount of infection lies between 4.4 percent and 7.9 percent of the population.”Here is our virtual press conference on the COVID-19 with an update on the study Miami-Dade is conducting in conjunction with @UMiamiHealth. https://t.co/aLcSLqgGQd— Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez (@MayorGimenez) April 24, 2020 That means that between 123,000 to 221,000 residents potentially have been infected by the virus, confirming the SPARK-C study.Researchers explained during the news conference that the numbers provided are based on the participation of 1,400 people over two weeks.Mayor Gimenez added that six percent of the participants tested positive for COVID-19 antibodies. Out of those who tested positive for the antibodies, more than half did not have symptoms. Follow-up testing will be conducted on those who have antibodies.“That’s exactly why we are going to have security measures and enforcement measures in place before we open,” he explained.The random sampling in the study also found that African-Americans seem to be twice as likely to get the virus.Recent numbers show that the curve is flattening in Miami-Dade County, although Gimenez warns residents against disobeying social distancing orders.Gimenez says the county has hired 400 people to help with enforcement.“We want to get back to normal, but we can only do so if people respect social distancing and follow the rules,” he adds.The mayor plans to continue the community-wide surveillance program.“It’s the new normal. We won’t get back to the old, old normal until, I believe, either we have vast testing or we have a vaccine,” Gimenez explains.As of Sunday morning, there were 11,351 confirmed cases and 301 deaths in Miami-Dade County, the most cases and deaths in the state.
Image Courtesy: Times Now/TOIAdvertisement 6htvmuNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vsluf8Wingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E6nrwqf( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 1trccpWould you ever consider trying this?😱z9nn6dCan your students do this? 🌚d7Roller skating! Powered by Firework The Pakistan Cricket Board are on the charge from the international media and the cricketing fandom after Pakistani cricket legend Shoaib Akhtar had revealed that his former teammate Danish Kaneria had faced discrimination from his compatriots for his religion. Now, PCB has come up with a statement to defend the allegations against themselves.Advertisement Image Courtesy: Times Now/TOIAt a sports talk show ‘Game on Hai’, Shoaib Akhtar made a striking revelation about his playing career, during which Kaneria was facing bigotry from fellow Pakistani cricketers for being Hindu, did not even have food with him.Kaneria, who is the second Hindu cricketer after Anil Dalpat to represent Pakistan in international cricket, confirmed Akhtar’s statements.Advertisement In an interview with ANI, he said: “The players who didn’t like to talk to me just because I was a Hindu. Soon I will reveal their names. I did not have the courage to speak in this regard, but now I got the courage to speak on this issue when I heard Shoaib’s statement.”The 39 year old was accused of match fixing by the England and Wales Cricket Board in 2010.Advertisement A spokesperson for the PCB, has however dismissed Kaneria and Akhtar’s allegations, and stated that the question should be raised to Kaneria’s teammates, and not the PCB as they had no involvement in this.He told reporters: “Look both Akhtar and Kaneria are retired players they are not contracted to us so they can do or say what they want. It is their opinion. And they are making allegations about behaviour of some players not about the entire Pakistan cricket set-up or board,”“Inzamam-ul-Haq, Rashid Latif, Younis Khan, Muhammad Yousuf, all these guys captained Pakistan when Kaneria was playing. They should respond to what Akhtar and Kaneria are saying. Why should the board get involved?” The spokesperson added.However, Kaneria’s teammates and former Pakistani Test icons Iqbal Qasim and Mohsin Khan have come come forward in moral support.Mohsin said: “A player should only be judged on his cricketing ability and commitments to the team not his religion, colour or creed,” while Qasim added: “If some players have mistreated Kaneria only because of his religion than they must be exposed.” Also read-Shoaib Akhtar makes stunning reveal that Pakistani cricketers didn’t use to even eat with Danish Kaneria because he was Hindu Advertisement