Layou women receives assistance following Layou flooding

first_img Share Tweet LocalNews Layou women receives assistance following Layou flooding by: – January 20, 2012 10 Views   no discussions Sharing is caring!center_img Share Share Hon. Kelver Darroux. Government has secured funds under the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) to assist women in the Layou community who have been affected by last year’s flooding in that community.Parliamentary Representative for Layou Kelver Darroux said in a statement on Friday that the women are currently benefiting from a $US20, 000.00 made available by the UNDP.“After the collapse of the Matthieu Dam in Layou last year, a meeting was held with the women in that community and staff of the ministry of finance and coming out of that, a report was submitted to the cabinet and funds to the tune of US$20,000.00 were approved to target the women in Layou. One of the areas that they will benefit is terms of the provision of 25 coolers. The women usually have their fish and titiri for sale and that will assist them in storage,’ Darroux explained.The women will also benefit in capacity and enhancement where 25 women will complete a training program in health and sanitation which will be conducted by the Environmental Health Department.“Upon completion they will be certified as food handlers. There will also be another component to that program where 25 women will be trained in the areas of training and international cooking which will be conducted by the adult education division,” he added.He said the aim is to empower women in the Layou community.Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more

Kwakwani Secondary into NSBF Boys U-14 and Girls Developmental finals

first_imgKWAKWANI Secondary School surged into the finals of the Youth Basketball Guyana (YBG)- organised National School Basketball Festival Boys U-14 and Girls Developmental division when the semi-finals were played on Saturday evening at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall.The Berbice River school, one of the most dominant in the 14-year Festival’s history, was able to surge ahead of the Bishops’ High School by a 45-27 margin in the Boys U-14 semis and by a 25-18 margin against Queen’s College in the Girls division.Meanwhile, Marian Academy girls team continued their flawless run in the Festival with a walkover win against Saint Stanislaus College. Saints boys were, however, able to get past President’s College (PC) 28-17 in the other U-14 semi-finals.STRONG FIRST HALFIn the Boys U-14 division, Kwakwani slowed down their Georgetown opponents with Gevon Ross pulling down 16 of his 21 rebounds and scoring seven of his nine points early. The dominance in the paint resulted in numerous second shot opportunities.Matthew David, who finished with 13 points, five rebounds and five steals, had scored eight points in the first period for an early 26-7 Kwakwani lead.Kellon Phillips and Travis Lewis finished with nine points each for the winners.The Georgetown school, who finished with a better second-half score (20-19), were led by Matthias Arindell who scored a game- high 17 points (10 of which were scored in the second half) and 11 rebounds.Saints were able to hold PC to only six points in the second period, which carried them to their 11-point win.David Bailey (also 14 rebounds) and Brandon Mckay scored 10 points each for the winners, while D. London scored nine points and eight rebounds for PC.In the female clash, Kwakwani were able to register a seven-point win, with Shania Sears leading the charge with nine points.Naiomi Barkoye finished with a game-high 11 points and 16 rebounds, but only Luanna Mohan (seven points, five rebounds and four steals) lent support.The finals of the Festival is scheduled for next Saturday at the same venue.last_img read more

Arson fire in Santiago Canyon said to be 30 percent contained

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.The U.S. Forest Service announced it was closing the Cleveland National Forest, just east of the burn area, until the wildfires ringing it were brought under control. About 600 firefighters from around the region were assigned to the Santiago blaze. Four helicopters and four airtankers are expected back on the job shortly after sunrise. Damage from the fire was estimated at $10 million. Anyone with more information as to the cause of the fire was asked to call the arson tip line at (800) 540-8282. IRVINE – The nearly 20,000-acre arson fire that has destroyed about a dozen homes in Orange County horse country east of Irvine was about 30 percent contained today, as the offshore winds that have fanned the flames started to let up. One of the most active fronts on the so-called Santiago Fire — Orange County Fire Authority Chief Chip Prather said it was started near Santiago Canyon and Silverado Canyon roads about 5:55 p.m. Sunday, and three points of origin were identified — was burning in the in the area of Modjeska and Silverado canyons. Though the Santa Ana winds were starting to let up, forecasters predicted another day of temperatures in the 90s coupled with dry conditions. Evacuations remained in place for virtually every community east of Irvine. Evacuees were being sheltered at El Toro High School in Lake Forest and at El Modena High School in Orange. last_img read more