Rafael Nadal ends year as world number one at 31

first_imgRafel Nadal can’t wait to receive his year-end world number one trophy at London for topping the men’s rankings in 2017.The Spaniard clinched the world number one spot for 2017 after beating Hyeon Chung at the Paris Masters yesterday.He became the oldest man to ever be on top of the men’s rankings at 31 years old after finishing ahead of Roger Federer.Roger Federer pulled out of the Paris Masters after winning the Swiss Indoors defeating Del Potro at the weekend and admitted earlier this week that his one regret of the year was not pushing Nadal closer for the world number one spot.Meanwhile, Nadal has enjoyed a fulfilled season, capturing six titles – including two Grand Slams and two ATP World Tour Masters 1000s. He will receive his world number trophy in this month’s ATP World Tour Finals in London.And he can’t wait to round off his 2017 campaign by lifting the coveted prize.“It is a special day, today I confirmed that I’m going to be the number one at the end of the season” Nadal said in a post on Twitter.“It’s an important achievement for me after all the things that happened to me over the last couple of years. It means a lot to me“,RelatedAgeless Federer Beats Fierce Rival To Win Shanghai MastersOctober 16, 2017In “Sports”Road to ATP World Finals, LondonNovember 7, 2017In “Sports”Novak Djokovic Returns To World Tennis SummitNovember 5, 2018In “Tennis”last_img read more

Beaten Man City must be brave for Liverpool mission – Guardiola

first_imgManchester, United Kingdom | AFP | Manchester City have to shrug off the body blow of letting a two-goal lead and the chance to win the Premier League title against bitter rivals Manchester United slip to raise themselves for a Champions League rescue mission against Liverpool on Tuesday.Victory against United would have seen City crowned champions of England for the fifth time, and they looked well on course to do so in the sweetest style in Saturday’s Manchester derby as captain Vincent Kompany and Ilkay Gundogan propelled them into a richly deserved two-goal half-time lead.However, City’s chances of landing a first ever Champions League crown were likely dealt a fatal blow when they conceded three times in 19 minutes first-half minutes to a rampant Liverpool at Anfield in the first leg last week.And they were even more porous as United fought back to turn the game around in a 16-minute spell just after half-time as a Paul Pogba double and Chris Smalling’s winner handed United a famous win.“Contratulations to United. Now we will try, if we are brave enough, to stand up again and focus on Tuesday,” said City manager Pep Guardiola.With City still boasting a 13-point lead at the top of the Premier League despite their first home league defeat of the season, Guardiola showed his priorities lay with the Champions League before kick-off.Kevin De Bruyne, City’s leading candidate for player of the year awards, was left on the bench alongside strikers Gabriel Jesus and Sergio Aguero.– No case for City defence – However, even their firepower will count for nothing if City defend as they have in losing back-to-back games for the first time this season.And Guardiola admitted the way his side are built to play on the front foot could leave them exposed to an away goal that will almost certainly seal Liverpool’s place in the last four.“Today United didn’t shot one time in the first half. Second half they arrive twice and score two goals.“It is tough sometimes mentally. We are a young team and a team to create sometimes, not to defend.”In a recurring theme of his near two-year reign in charge of City, Guardiola also lamented his side’s inability to take their chances at the other end as Raheem Sterling missed two glorious opportunities to extend City’s lead with the score at 2-0.However, inspired by Barcelona’s remarkable comeback from a 4-0 first-leg deficit to Paris Saint-Gemrain, Guardiola — a Champions League winner as both a player and a coach at Barcelona — insisted that a remarkable comeback is possible if City are clinical on the night.“In football anything can happen. It is the first time we lose two games in a row, first time in the season it has happened and now we have to recover, try again, come back to basics and win games,” added Guardiola.“I tell them we are going to try guys. I was a football player, I know how they feel and how uncomfortable a situation it is. Like all the season I like to be with them and nothing else.”Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Two Palm Beach County deputies test positive for the coronavirus

first_imgA spokesperson for the Palm Beach Sheriffs Office is reporting that two of it’s deputies have tested positive for the coronavirus.The development was relayed to the media Tuesday afternoon though it is unclear when the deputies became ill or how they contracted the virus.Anyone who had contact with the two deputies including medical staff and fellow employees, have been tested and have been asked to self-quarantine.A third deputy has also been hospitalized and is now awaiting the results.Those who have come into contact with them have been asked to self-quarantine but have not been tested.This is a developing story.last_img read more

Poll: 1 in 10 Think They Have Had Coronavirus; Study: More Than 100,000 in Miami May Be Infected

first_imgA poll conducted last week by WebMD found that 1 in 10 Americans believe they have been infected with COVID-19 over the last 30 days, although few of them have had access to testing in order to confirm their suspicions.Only about seven percent of those who thought they had the novel coronavirus were actually tested for it. Out of those, two-thirds tested positive for the virus.The poll, which was conducted on April 20 and 21, had 6,300 respondents.WebMD says that of those individuals who said they were not tested, 39 percent explained they did not meet the testing criteria, while 28 percent said they did not think they needed a test, and 25 percent added that testing was not yet available in their area. Another 16 percent stated they were concerned about seeking treatment.In addition, new data collected in our region suggests that more than 100,000 people in Miami-Dade County may be infected with the virus.That information comes from the Surveillance Program Assessing Risk and Knowledge of Coronavirus, also known as SPARK-C. It is a public-private partnership designed to determine the actual rate of COVID-19 exposure in the community.Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez and researchers from the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine held a virtual news conference on Friday to discuss the data.Gimenez said, “Using statistical methods, we are 95 percent certain the true amount of infection lies between 4.4 percent and 7.9 percent of the population.”Here is our virtual press conference on the COVID-19 with an update on the study Miami-Dade is conducting in conjunction with @UMiamiHealth. https://t.co/aLcSLqgGQd— Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez (@MayorGimenez) April 24, 2020 That means that between 123,000 to 221,000 residents potentially have been infected by the virus, confirming the SPARK-C study.Researchers explained during the news conference that the numbers provided are based on the participation of 1,400 people over two weeks.Mayor Gimenez added that six percent of the participants tested positive for COVID-19 antibodies. Out of those who tested positive for the antibodies, more than half did not have symptoms. Follow-up testing will be conducted on those who have antibodies.“That’s exactly why we are going to have security measures and enforcement measures in place before we open,” he explained.The random sampling in the study also found that African-Americans seem to be twice as likely to get the virus.Recent numbers show that the curve is flattening in Miami-Dade County, although Gimenez warns residents against disobeying social distancing orders.Gimenez says the county has hired 400 people to help with enforcement.“We want to get back to normal, but we can only do so if people respect social distancing and follow the rules,” he adds.The mayor plans to continue the community-wide surveillance program.“It’s the new normal. We won’t get back to the old, old normal until, I believe, either we have vast testing or we have a vaccine,” Gimenez explains.As of Sunday morning, there were 11,351 confirmed cases and 301 deaths in Miami-Dade County, the most cases and deaths in the state.last_img read more

Indian Coast Guard apprehends a Pakistan fishing boat off Gujarat

first_imgIndian Coast Guard (ICG) apprehended a Pakistan fishing boat with nine persons on board for illegally fishing in Indian waters off Gujarat coast on late Saturday.The boat named “AL AISHA” and all the crew members were escorted to Okha port and have been handed over to local Marine Police for further investigation.As per details, the Indian Coast Guard Ship Meera Behn, a front line Fast Patrol Vessel (FPV) of Indian Coast Guard Region (North West) while patrolling close to International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL), noticed a Pakistani fishing boat towards Indian side. “The alert crew of the ship on confirmation, exercised a daring boarding operation in challenging sea conditions and subsequently apprehended her for illegally fishing in Indian waters,” a statement issued by the ICG stated.Lately, reports of fishing activity and presence of Pakistan entities have been reported by intelligence and security agencies. “The Indian Coast Guard has been observing a high security alert on the occasion of 72nd Independence Day. The afloat forces have intensified patrolling and surveillance in the sea areas,” the Coast Guard statement added.In addition, a round the clock presence of CG ships is being maintained and this surveillance regime is further augmented by Coast Guard aircrafts across the coastal regions.last_img read more