Welch announces staff appointments

first_imgUS Representative Peter Welch has announced the appointment of a new communications director and a new legislative director.Welch promoted Scott Coriell, who has worked as a staff assistant and press assistant in his Washington office, to the position of communications director. Also promoted was Jake Oster, who previously served as scheduler and legislative assistant, to the position of legislative director.A Killington native and a graduate of Middlebury College, Coriell previously served as program coordinator for World Camp Inc., a non-profit organization that provides HIV/AIDS outreach services to communities in Malawi. Coriell also interned for Representative Rush Holt (D-NJ) and managed the web site of his family’s Killington-based business, Peak Performance Ski Shop. His brother, David, was Governor Jim Douglas’ last press secretary.Oster, a graduate of the University of Vermont, previously served as director of grassroots advocacy for the Humane Society of the United States, deputy political director for the Humane Society Legislative Fund and on the staff of Representative Tim Holden (D-PA).Coriell’s appointment takes effect next Monday. Oster assumed his new position earlier this year. Source: Welch’s office. 3.8.2011last_img read more

Contractor, homeowner to pay Vermont $87,000 for cleanup of hazardous waste

first_imgA contractor and a homeowner will pay the State of Vermont a total of over $87,000 to resolve the Attorney General’s claims for the cleanup of an illegal and unpermitted discharge of hazardous waste.‘Contractors must follow Vermont law when disposing of hazardous waste,’ said Attorney General William Sorrell.In the spring of 2010, Travis Smith, a contractor based in Granville, New York, discharged water containing home heating oil into soil near Tinmouth Pond. When a nearby resident noticed an oily sheen in the water and shore of the pond, he contacted the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources, which undertook an immediate and full cleanup of the area. The matter was then referred to the Attorney General’s Office.The current settlement includes recognition that contamination from the spill ‘caused damage to nearby properties and natural resources,’ and requires payments to reimburse the state for all of the costs that it expended in pursuing the full cleanup of the site. The settlement funds will go directly into the State’s Petroleum Cleanup Fund and the Environmental Contingency Fund.Vermont Attorney General December 13, 2011last_img read more

Bay Shore Teen Nabbed for Drive-by Shooting, Cops Say

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A Bay Shore teenager is in custody for an alleged drive-by shooting that seriously injured a West Babylon man this week, Suffolk County police said.Shameek Hutchinson, 17, was arrested Thursday and charged with assault and criminal use of a firearm.Hutchinson’s arrest stems from a late-afternoon shooting in West Babylon on Monday. Police said the 21-year-old victim, Christian Warren, was shot in the face from a vehicle outside his house around 4:30 p.m.Warren was initially transported to Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center in West Islip in serious but stable condition.Hutchinson will be arraigned Friday at First District Court in Central Islip.Police are continuing the investigation.last_img read more

How credit unions can go viral on social media

first_imgRecently, as a resident young person here at CU 2.0, I have ventured on to TikTok. You may have heard of it—either from your kids, the news lately, or maybe from our blog.TikTok has an interesting set up. The main page doesn’t show videos from people you follow. Rather, it shows content catered “for you” by artificial intelligence. It doesn’t matter if you follow the creator or not.Sometimes, videos that hit my “for you” page only have six likes, and sometimes, they have millions. All from people I’ve never heard of before. That means that TikTok users have one goal, and one goal only:Go. Viral.Why Go Viral? continue reading » ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

H5N1-infected bird found in Hong Kong

first_imgJan 8, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – Hong Kong government officials recently announced that a wild bird found dead near a busy shopping district on Dec 31 tested positive for H5N1 avian influenza.The infection in a scaly-breasted munia, a species often imported from mainland China and released in religious ceremonies, marks the first case found in Hong Kong since February 2006, according to reports published by the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE). Hong Kong has reported no human H5N1 cases since 1997, when the virus first jumped to humans.The Hong Kong government’s Jan 6 press release on the H5N1 finding doesn’t specify if the virus was the highly pathogenic H5N1 strain, but Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported that it was.Hong Kong’s Agriculture, Fisheries, and Conservation Department (AFCD) announced Jan 4 that a preliminary test for the virus was positive and confirmatory tests were being conducted. AFP reported that the bird was the only one of 6 dead birds found that tested positive for the virus.A bird watcher from Hong Kong who posted an item yesterday on ProMED-mail, the Internet-based reporting system of the International Society for Infectious Diseases, said the scaly-breasted munia is not frequently seen in urban Hong Kong but is said to be one of the 2 species most commonly released during religious ceremonies at temples. The practice of releasing these birds is a concern, he said, because they’re not subject to the disease-prevention measures used with poultry, and sellers and buyers can come into contact with infected bird droppings.The Hong Kong AFCD, in a Jan 6 press release, advised the public not to release birds, because they have little chance of surviving in the wild. A department spokesperson said the AFCD has contacted community groups, including religious groups, to warn them about releasing birds.The statement did not refer specifically to the H5N1 case, but it said pet birds imported from mainland China must come from registered farms and be accompanied by a veterinary health certificate certifying that the birds have been quarantined and have tested negative for H5 avian flu viruses.Farms on the mainland that are allowed to export birds to Hong Kong are inspected by mainland authorities and occasionally by AFCD authorities and must have had no avian flu outbreaks in the past 180 days.The government said its records show that 38,000 munias, including white-backed and scaly-breasted ones, were imported into Hong Kong from the mainland in 2006. It added that the scaly-breasted Munia is a resident bird in Hong Kong and has been found all over the territory.A department spokesperson advised Hong Kong residents to avoid personal contact with wild birds and live poultry and to wash their hands thoroughly after coming into contact with birds.Meanwhile, in Vietnam, several ducks have died in the past few days in the southern province of Soc Trang, prompting concern about the further spread of avian flu. Xinhua, China’s official news agency, reported yesterday that specimens from the ducks were sent for avian flu testing.If tests are positive, Soc Trang will be the fourth province affected in the recent series of outbreaks, which started in early December in the south Mekong Delta provinces of Ca Mau and Bac Lieu, spreading to nearby Hau Giang province. OIE reports list 32 outbreaks during that period.Officials from the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) are in talks with the Vietnamese government about sending experts to investigate the source of the outbreaks, Voice of America News reported today.Aphaluck Bhatiasevi, a spokesperson for the FAO office in Hanoi, told VOA the outbreak isn’t surprising, because officials believe the virus is still present. “The information that we’ve got so far is that the recent outbreaks were triggered as a result of raising illegal ducks,” she said. In earlier news reports, officials blamed local animal health officials and farmers for not maintaining poultry vaccination programs and farmers for hatching poultry illegally.In December, an FAO-OIE crisis management team traveled to South Korea to investigate the H5N1 outbreaks in poultry that occurred south of Seoul in late November.See also:Jan 6 Hong Kong government press releasehttp://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/200701/06/P200701060189.htmJan 6 Hong Kong press releasehttp://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/200701/06/P200701060187.htmWikipedia photo of scaly-breasted muniahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaly-breasted_muniaJan 7 ProMed mail report on Hong Kong birdOIE reports on Vietnam 2006-07 outbreakhttp://www.oie.int/downld/AVIAN%20INFLUENZA/A2006_AI.phplast_img read more

World Tourism Day is being celebrated in Istria for the fifth time, and in your region?

first_imgThis year, for the fifth time in a row, the Administrative Department for Tourism of the Istrian County organizes and encourages inclusion in the celebration of World Tourism Day, with the aim of drawing the attention of the domicile population and tourists to a number of facilities and attractions. Istria.  “Thus, by encouraging consumption, we contribute to the preservation of jobs, we encourage sustainable and responsible development of tourism. and ultimately, we point out the importance of tourism that affects the economic, social, cultural and environmental segments ”, concludes Prodan Mraković. “We make our offer more accessible with the aim of getting to know the contents and attractions in Istria as much as possible, and thus we strengthen the promotion of Istria. All those interested, in addition to adrenaline parks, museums, castles, caves, protected areas, workshops, performances and more, will be able to visit the many winemakers, olive growers, truffle growers and other local producers who joined the action. Numerous local tourist boards joined the event with their programs “, pointed out the head of the Istria County Tourism Board, Nada Prodan Mraković, and stressed that in accordance with this year’s theme of World Tourism Day and this event, they want to point out local products, offers and services and encourage local consumption and thus support local facilities.  This year, World Tourism Day is held under the motto: Tourism and rural development. ‘The celebration of the World Tourism Day in Istria in 2020 will be held on Saturday, September 26 and Sunday, September 27 from 10 am to 18 pm at 63 points throughout Istria where tourist attractions open their doors that can be used with discounts of up to 50% or completely free.last_img read more

Trump tells lies while basking in the praise

first_imgCategories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion Donald Trump was cheered by hundreds of Carrier workers a year ago when he announced that he saved their jobs from moving to Mexico (Daily Gazette, Dec. 3).The same workers now know that they were conned by Trump with promises he had no intention of fulfilling. Carrier announced the laying off of 600 workers whose jobs Trump claimed to have saved a year ago. Instead of saving jobs, “more than 91,000 jobs have been sent overseas since Trump was elected, the highest number of jobs lost to outsourcing in five years.”Trump’s entire career consists of lying and conning people with false promises, including the Trump University students who were encouraged to take loans to pay tuition for a degree that turned out to be useless. He stiffed contractors and workers who worked on his properties.Trump had no plans to save the Carrier jobs. Trump has an insatiable need for adulation. He made the promises to the Carrier workers for the applause and cheers he knew he would receive when he stood in front of them to con them with false promises.Mark MarkovitzNiskayunaMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?last_img read more

Company fights Spurs stadium order

first_imgA business standing in the way of Tottenham’s £400million stadium redevelopment plans has launched a High Court battle to stay put. It was agreed on Thursday that the case brought by Archway Sheet Metal Works will be heard on February 17-18 by Mr Justice Dove, who revealed in court he is an Aston Villa fan. The owners of Archway are challenging the confirmation of a compulsory purchase order that could force them to make way for a new 56,000-capacity stadium complex. Press Associationcenter_img Last November, a mystery fire gutted the premises near the North Stand at Premier League club Tottenham’s White Hart Lane ground in north London. The owners said they had received “bomb threats”. Josif Josif, 46, who runs the family business, said at the time of the fire: “People were calling us and threatening us and we were receiving bomb threats and that started a few months ago, but we don’t know if that’s got anything to do with it.” The firm describes itself as a “wonderfully old-fashioned family business” producing metal items for the catering and hospitality industry. The owners have been in a dispute with Spurs for the last decade over the club’s redevelopment plans. The club has planning permission for the new stadium it hopes to open for the 2018-19 season. last_img read more

Government probing missing US$5M payment

first_img– former President could not confirm paymentA recent visit to China by Minister of State Joseph Harmon has revealed that Chinese company, DatangMinister of Natural Resources, Raphael Trotman speaking to the media on WednesdayTelecom Technology and Industry Group, has already repaid the outstanding US$5 million for Government’s shares in GTT, however, local authorities are yet to find a record of the payment.In 2012, the Chinese company purchased Government’s 20 per cent shares in the local telephone company at the cost of US$30 million from the National Industrial and Commercial Investment Limited (NICIL).However, based on an agreement with the then People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) Administration, the company paid off US$25 million and had to two years to make the outstanding payment.Datang failed to repay the outstanding amount within the agreed time and as such, upon its assumption to office, the A Partnership for National Unity/ Alliance For Change (APNU/AFC) regime undertook to recoup the monies; hence Minister of State Joseph Harmon’s recent trip to China. During the trip, Harmon was accompanied by NICIL’s Legal Counsel, Natalia Seepersaud.At the post-Cabinet briefing on Wednesday, Natural Resources Minister Raphael Trotman was asked about the outcome of the visit to which he responded by making the disclosure. “What I can say is that Mr Harmon has been able to retrieve some documents which tell a different story. That story being, of course, that the five million was paid so we are trying to track down to whom, how, where and when,” Trotman revealed to reporters.While the Government spokesperson did not provide much details in relation to the information found on the payment by the Chinese company, he did hint it was made under the previous Administration when he said “that was before May 16, 2015”.Nevertheless, Trotman noted that the Minister of State has provided Cabinet with a full report on the matter while NICIL is also looking into it. “The NICIL board, as far as I know, is considering the findings and that will be made public shortly,” he remarked.It was reported that Datang had refused to make the payments within the stimulated time after it requested to have an additional Director on GTT’s Board. However, the local telephone company rejected the request, saying that based on the amount of shares the Chinese company had, it is only entitled to one Director on the Board.The PPP/C Administration had long maintained that the US$5 million was still outstanding to Guyana. In fact, when contact on Wednesday evening, former President Donald Ramotar, under whose leadership the transaction was conducted, told Guyana Times that he is not aware of Datang making a payment on the outstanding amount. However, he noted that if any such payment was made, it would have been paid to NICIL, with whom they had the transaction.Meanwhile, at a press conference late last year, former Head of NICIL, Winston Brassington stated that efforts were afoot to recoup the monies.Brassington had even defended selling the shares to the Chinese company, explaining that the share-offer was advertised more than 40 times locally and close to 30 times overseas. He added that Government had even written all the embassies and consulates and in the end, the highest offer received was US$7 million.“We did consider the shares to be worth a lot more [than US$7M],” he said. So the sale of US$25 million upfront and US$5 million later was considered a good deal.  We had other options from the Chinese which offered less money upfront and more money later. However, the Privatisation Board and the Cabinet accepted the position that maximised the payment up front. It was a good price, we believe,” the former NICIL Head stated.Brassington had also credited the investor being brought via the Guyana Ambassador to China, Dr David Dabydeen.Government used the money collected from the sale to partly finance the construction of the Marriott Hotel. Former CEO Brassington had disclosed that some US$15-US$20 million have been spent on building the Marriott Hotel in Kingston, Georgetown, by the State-owned Atlantic Hotels Inc.One observer noted that if Cabinet was given a full report, and that the purpose of the China trip was to engage Datang, did the Government team obtain from Datang officials evidence of the payment to NICIL? When the US$25 million was paid, it was made by international wire instructions, from one bank to another. The payment into NICIL’s bank account would have been easy to trace.The observer noted that the Government should be more forthcoming on the trip given that Datang is a Chinese state-owned entity and the Chinese Embassy in Guyana is reported to have assisted in making preparations.last_img read more