Over the past few months, the internet has been buzzing with activity relating to the new generation motorcycles expected from Royal Enfield. A lot was speculated and a large part of that revolved around the engines which would power these new bikes. All of that has been put to rest as the company has revealed its brand new 650cc parallel twin motor. First and foremost, this is no upgrade from an existing engine. It is a brand new engine designed from the ground up. It displaces 650cc and churns out [email protected],000rpm and 53Nm of torque at 4,000rpm. It sports an 8-valve SOHC configuration and is air cooled. The engine gets a six-speed gearbox as well as a slip-assist clutch which is expected to reduce lever effort. Royal Enfield says that this motor will allow riders to experience the ‘ton’ with ease and this means that the new engines will allow the new motorcycle to cruise effortlessly on highways worldwide. Another aspect which identifies any Royal Enfield is the ‘thump’ which the existing range of engines emanates. But this new motor will not have a similar engine note. However this new motor will offer a rorty engine note which will suite the character of the bike it will power. Other important bits include a larger alternator which is ready to power all the accessories which will be offered for the new bikes. So which are the bikes which this motor will power? Royal Enfield is all set to reveal two brand new bikes at EICMA 2017 in Milan shortly and both these bikes will get this engine. The new bikes are currently in pre-production stage and will go on sale April 2018 onwards. The 350cc and 500cc motors will continue to serve the existing range of Royal Enfield bikes.advertisement
New Delhi, Jul 4 (PTI) Sachin Tendulkar has taken to social media to launch #KitupChallenge to encourage people to start playing sports. Posting a video of himself putting on his cricketing gear and getting ready to play, Tendulkar asked the viewers to take up a sport of their choice. As part of the challenge, Sachin called upon the viewers to post a short video of themselves on social media while getting ready to play a sport and use the hashtag to nominate others in the process. Sachins new initiative aims to promote overall fitness and encourage Indians to inculcate an active lifestyle through the joy of playing sports. The challenge has been positively received from the sports community with noted personalities like Virat Kohli, PV Sindhu and Devendra Jhajharia already participating in the challenge. Other noted sports personalities like Srikanth Kidambi and Suresh Raina have also shown support. Last month, the government of India launched the #HumFitToIndiaFit initiative which also received a tremendous response from across the country. Earlier, in his Rajya Sabha speech, Sachin had proposed a framework for Sports for All under Right To Play. PTI KHS KHSKHS
New Delhi: Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra on Thursday posted a video of a woman being panned by a policeman for wearing jewellery while she was attempting to file an eve-teasing complaint, and said the first step towards ensuring justice for women is listening to them. She posted the video in which a woman is narrating that she was eve teased by a group of men and her brother was beaten up for protesting their remarks. In response, the police official asks the woman about her attire and bangles and locket worn by married women. He also pulls up her family. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c details “A girl who has gone to file a report of eve teasing is being treated in this manner at a police station. On one hand crimes against women are not going down in Uttar Pradesh, on the other hand protectors of law are behaving in this manner,” Priyanka Gandhi tweeted. The first step towards getting justice for women is listening to them, she said. Priyanka Gandhi has been attacking the Yogi Adityanath government over alleged rise in crimes against women in the state, demanding action against those breaking the law.
Among players who increased their fly-ball rate, it was almost exactly a toss-up as to whether their wOBA would get better or worse.149.3 percent increased their wOBA, while 50.7 percent saw it decline. Similarly, players who decreased their fly-ball rate had about a 50/50 split of improving and worsening wOBAs. Overall, the correlation between a batter’s changing fly ball rate and his subsequent change in production is nonexistent. That same lack of correlation holds if you use the more advanced metrics (such as launch angle) tracked by MLB’s StatCast system.Although there are some fly-ball success stories, plenty of hitters have swung up only to see their wOBA dive down. For every Yonder Alonso there is a 2016 Kiké Hernandez, who spiked his fly-ball rate by 11.7 percentage points, only to watch his wOBA drop by 89 points. Or maybe you’d prefer Cubs outfielder Jason Heyward, the owner of a dreadful wOBA 21 percent worse than the league average in 2016. The Cubs are at the vanguard of the fly-ball revolution, reportedly championing the phrase “there’s no slug on the ground.” Heyward seems to have listened, because he increased his fly-ball rate by almost 10 percentage points after joining the Cubs. But in contrast with the success stories of players such as Alonso and Martinez, the change has had a disastrous effect on Heyward.So adopting an uppercut swing won’t necessarily make a player great. But it will probably make them hit more home runs. (When players up their rate of fly balls, the consequence is usually more dingers.)2In my data, there was no inverse relationship between the change in rate of fly balls and the rate at which those fly balls went over the fence. The increasing rate of fly balls leaguewide seems to explain some of the explosion in home runs from 2015 to 2016 (although that still leaves the mid-year 2015 increase in home runs a mystery, even setting aside the speculation around — and puzzling evidence for and against — ball juicing).3In total, the league hit 701 more home runs in 2016 than in 2015. A simple regression of the number of home runs versus the fly-ball rate for each player would predict about 400 additional home runs in 2016.Home runs are great! But the problem is that fly balls also come with other, less desirable consequences. For example, players who hit more fly balls into the outfield also hit more pop-ups on the infield, which are about as valuable as striking out. Given his aforementioned criticism of fly balls, maybe it’s no coincidence that Joey Votto is also one of baseball’s best at avoiding infield pop-ups — he probably knows the two are related.Moreover, the conscious effort to adapt an unnatural swing plane could harm a player’s natural hitting motion. Heyward had been a productive hitter earlier in his career with similar fly-ball rates as last season, but his swing mechanics were notably confused a year ago, which resulted in an obvious weak spot against low pitches.In an interview with CSN Chicago, Cubs hitting coach John Mallee described the work he was doing to improve Heyward for the 2017 season. “He’s trying to mirror the swing that he had then…. It’s not actually making a change; it’s just getting him to who he was,” Mallee said. Bucking the revolution, Heyward has hit significantly fewer fly balls this season, and his production has improved, as well (although he’s still underperforming expectations).Stories such as Heyward’s show that the fly-ball revolution is not for every hitter. Notably, many of the players who have transformed the most by adopting uppercut swings were underperforming before. Alonso was a below-average hitter last season; Donaldson was a former high draft pick who struggled for years to come into his own. Tinkering with their swing planes might have been the secret to unlocking their full potential. But for players with established mechanics like Heyward, adopting a new philosophy is a riskier proposition. All told, it’s tough to predict whether more fly balls are the missing ingredient for a hitter, or just a harmful distraction. From J.D. Martinez to Josh Donaldson, hitters throughout the big leagues have been honing a new approach at the plate, hunting for big flies and eschewing worm burners. It’s a change rooted in the latest metrics, which say balls hit in the air tend to be more valuable than grounders — particularly since the home run surge of 2015 started turning a higher percentage of fly balls into home runs than ever. So, over the last two years, batters have adjusted their swings accordingly, sending ever more balls skyward.The resulting trend toward fly balls has significantly improved a handful of hitters, helping them achieve far better results than when they slapped more grounders. Some observers have even suggested it could be contributing to the surge in home runs. But a closer look at the data shows that, while there is a sweeping transformation underway, it seems to be hurting as many players as it is helping.A batter can hit more fly balls by changing the angle of his swing. Instead of the slight downward plane recommended by many instructors, more of today’s batters are adopting uppercut swings that drive the ball into the air. And across the league, the effect is palpable.Over the past three seasons, the ratio of ground balls to fly balls in MLB has dropped from 1.34 grounders per fly in 2015 to 1.25 this year. For individual players, the changes are even more significant. FanGraphs’ Jeff Sullivan documented a historic number of players who have dropped their ground-ball percentage by 5 percent or more since 2015.Some of those players have benefited greatly from these swing changes. Oakland Athletics first baseman Yonder Alonso nearly halved the number of grounders he’s hitting so far this year, and he also boasts a personal-best 178 weighted Runs Created plus, one of the best marks in the league. There are similar anecdotes for Martinez, Donaldson, Nationals All-Star second baseman Daniel Murphy and others.So there is definitely a fly-ball revolution underway in baseball. But that revolution is not without its discontents. Cincinnati Reds first baseman Joey Votto recently disparaged the trend towards fly-ball hitting in an interview with The Cincinnati Enquirer. “I see it with a lot of guys. Everyone tells the good stories, but there’s a lot of s—ty stories of guys who are wasting their time trying things,” Votto said, as quoted in the Enquirer.Votto is right; being a more productive hitter really isn’t as simple as “elevate to celebrate.” Over the last three years, just as many hitters have suffered by increasing their fly-ball rate as have benefited. Here’s a chart showing each hitter’s change in fly-ball rate from the previous year, in comparison with his change in weighted On-Base Average (wOBA).
The Argentinean footballer has scored a hat-trick once again for the Citizens, as he’s catapulting himself to greater heights.For the second time in less than a week, Argentinean footballer Sergio Aguero scored three goals for Manchester City.He and the Citizens trashed Chelsea in today’s English Premier League fixture.“I think it might be one of the best performances of this team so it was a great game and an even better result,” Aguero spoke to the club’s official website.“I am very happy for the hat-tricks and for breaking records, both in the Premier League and for the club.”“I try to keep those good memories and especially thanks to my team-mates for helping me in the game and what matters most, in the end, is us winning,” he added.“What matters most to me is to try and finish the season in the best way and try to win some silverware.”Former EPL footballer Jamie Carragher was also surprised at how well Aguero is currently playing, and he was quick to give him praise.Liverpool legend Nicol slams Harry Maguire’s Man United form Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Steve Nicol believes Harry Maguire has made some “horrendous mistakes” recently, and has failed to find his best form since joining Manchester United.“He’s just clever. He’s switched on, he’s alive,” he told Sky Sports.“I’ve played against him and at times he can be quiet in a game, but before you know it something just happens. In terms of a goalscorer, he’s the greatest we’ve seen in the Premier League.”“That’s the difference between him and the other greats, he’s a goalscorer rather than the greatest all-around player,” he added.“He does work a lot harder now than he ever did. The manager has lit the fire under him.”Happy about the win, the hat-trick and for matching an all-times record. It’s my honour and my pleasure to belong to this FC, with great companions, amazing fans, and being part of this wonderful team. C’mon, City!!! pic.twitter.com/BM17BmERe6— Sergio Kun Aguero (@aguerosergiokun) February 10, 2019
Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Updated: 10:50 PM Posted: February 5, 2018 SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — The statewide effort to overturn the 12-cent gas tax took an interesting turn Monday. Former San Diego council member Carl Demiao lured people into signing a petition with really cheap gas.“I came here for the cheap gas, but I also signed the petition,” said Jabulo Carls who drives an Uber and Lyft.The gas station owner agreed to lose money in order to entice people with $1.99 gas.“I’m taking a hit, but it’s ok,” said Les Kourie. “The public is happy, they seem happy. And they get the message, stop this gas tax.”Carl Demaio started this tax recall after a super majority of Democrats in Sacramento approved a 12-cent tax on each gallon gas and a huge increase in the car tax.“Look, the people up there are not accountable,” Demaio said. “They say this money will fix roads and bridges and it’s simply not true.”Demaio is hoping to collect almost 600-thousadn signatures to make the November ballot. He’s already collected about 500,000.While hundreds of people enjoyed filling up their tanks with cheap gas, they also signed the petition.One step closer to the people taking back control from elected officials. Dan Plante, Discounted gas sold in an effort to repeal gas tax Dan Plante February 5, 2018
Dan Cohen AUTHOR The Pentagon’s fiscal 2020 budget request will prioritize new weapons and technology development over expanding force structure, Deputy Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan told reporters Thursday. “At the end of the day, the national defense strategy puts a priority on modernization,” Shanahan said. The deputy secretary’s remarks came as the White House and DOD have gone through multiple iterations about the topline for national security spending in the administration’s next budget request. “We’re looking at numbers above $733 [billion], and as you know, we looked at numbers below $733 [billion]. I think everybody recognizes that this is a discussion that will go on in terms of what is the right number,” he said, reported Defense News.If the topline exceeds $733 billion, there may be enough room in the budget proposal to bolster modernization accounts as well as funding to grow the force and restore readiness. Earlier last week, Politico reported that President Trump agreed to a topline of $750 billion after meeting with Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and the chairmen of the House and Senate Armed Services committees.Photo courtesy of DOD