April 2, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information News Turkey’s never-ending judicial persecution of former newspaper editor to go further News TurkeyEurope – Central Asia June 28, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Fikret Baskaya released from prison Follow the news on Turkey Human rights groups warns European leaders before Turkey summit Journalists threatened with imprisonment under Turkey’s terrorism law April 2, 2021 Find out more April 28, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Organisation TurkeyEurope – Central Asia RSF_en Reporters Without Borders welcomes the release from jail on 28 June of university teacher Fikret Baskaya, a columnist on the pro-Kurd daily paper Özgür Bakis, but strongly regrets it did not come sooner in response to pressure by his lawyers.Baskaya had been held in Ankara’s Kalecik prison since 29 June last year. He was sentenced on 1 January last year to 16 months in jail and fined 1.066 billion Turkish pounds (_855) for “separatist propaganda.” The sentence was confirmed by the supreme court.He had written in a 1 June 1999 article in the paper headed “Is this a historic trial?” that “Turkish leaders have always considered the Kurdish problem as a public order issue, while in fact it is a national problem. They have thought they could solve it by chauvinistic, racist and nationalist policies.” News News
Print Advertisement Facebook Twitter WhatsApp NewsLimerick leads the wayBy Bernie English – March 31, 2016 939 LIMERICK is leading the way in an area fraught with difficulty for many families, that of how to deal with the cremated ashes of a loved one.Despite the growing popularity of cremation, many graveyards do not facilitate ash only interments. Urn Towers, a company set up by Limerick man Stephen Power provides a unique solution, allowing the interring of cremated remains in graveyards.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Limerick City and County Council is the first local authority in the country to support this initiative by piloting a project to allow families inter a loved one’s remains in a new-style memorial called an Urn Tower. The urns holding the remains are placed inside the family Urn Tower. Two Limerick City graveyards – Killmurry and the extension at Mount St Lawrence cemetery – will be the first Irish facilities to offer this option.Once the trial period is completed, it is hoped that Urn Towers will be available at other Limerick graveyards and, eventually, throughout the country.Stephen Power of Urn Towers says that with space in city graveyards at a premium, cremation rates are increasing by up to 20 per cent every year.“A new grave can cost from €500 to €14,000. This does not cover the extras such as opening the grave, monument fees and headstone costs.A growing population and the influx of people to cities and towns is putting pressure on graveyards with many running out of space. Cremation offers some relief on these issues.“Some families scatter the ashes in places where the deceased person had some attachment. However, other families would prefer to have a permanent place to visit and remember a loved one who has chosen cremation.“Urn Towers offer a real solution for this very modern dilemma”, he said. Email Linkedin Previous articleLocal interests in The Voice of Ireland this weekendNext articleMunster poets take this year’s Éigse Michael Hartnett Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news.
Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal £10 jeans theft three month sentence reduced after appeal Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry WhatsApp WhatsApp Google+ Pinterest By News Highland – April 1, 2011 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic Facebook Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th Facebook Pinterest Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Google+ News 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North Twitter Previous articleThose responsible for security alert are anti-Derry says Foyle MPNext articleEducation Minister has anti-rural agenda – Deputy McConalogue News Highland Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan fire A 27-year-old Strabane woman has won her appeal against a prison sentence for stealing jeans worth £10.Alison Hewitt, a single parent from Patterson Park, was sent to jail for three months.The Court of Appeal ruled today that the original three months prison sentence was “manifestly excessive” and ordered her to serve 100 hours community service instead.27-year-old Alison Hewitt was convicted by a jury at Derry Crown Court of stealing the jeans from a small clothes shop in Derry in August 2009.A four-day Crown Court trial heard that she took three pairs into a changing room, along with her young daughter in a pram, but only returned two.The severity of the punishment handed down to a first-time offender provoked widespread public shock.Her lawyers argued in the Court of Appeal today that it went beyond a reasonable response to the offence of shoplifting.Lord Chief Justice Sir Declan Morgan said those who target shopkeepers trying to run businesses in difficult times must realise they risk going to jail.But Sir Declan took note of her age, lack of any previous convictions, and her parental responsibilities.He said these factors may not have been as obvious and developed before the trial judge as they were on appeal.
Publicans in Republic watching closely as North reopens further Renewed calls for full-time Garda in Kilmacrennan Gardai are appealing for witnesses after a man in his 30s died following a road traffic collision near Lifford in the early hours of this morning.At approximately 12.30am Gardaí and emergency services attended at the scene of a single vehicle road traffic collision on the R265. The vehicle was travelling from the direction of Porthall, Lifford towards Rossgier.The injured man was initially treated at the scene by Ambulance personnel before he was taken by Ambulance to Letterkenny University Hospital in a critical condition. He later passed away from his injuries.It is understood the car he was driving left the road and collided with a tree. The man was the sole occupant of the car.The scene at the crash site is currently preserved for examination by Garda forensic collision investigators. The road is currently closed to traffic and diversions are in place.Investigating Gardaí are appealing for witnesses, in particular anyone who travelled this stretch of road between approximately 11.30pm and 1am to contact them.Anyone with information is asked to contact Letterkenny Garda Station 074-9167100 or the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111. WhatsApp Google+ Twitter By News Highland – December 26, 2019 Pinterest Google+ Facebook Previous articleChristmas Carols from St Eunan’s CathedralNext articleTermon through to Ulster Final: FT Report News Highland Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Man dies in hospital following Lifford collision Twitter Community Enhancement Programme open for applications RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp Pinterest Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Facebook Homepage BannerNews Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA
Unions warn firms over mad rush to ‘offshore’ UK jobsOn 18 May 2004 in Personnel Today UK businesses must consider the true business case for moving jobs abroad,and not rush “in a lemming-like fashion” into offshoring. Speaking at the Employment Lawyers Association (ELA) annual conference last week,Roger Lyons, joint general-secretary of Amicus and TUC president, said therewas no excuse for fad-driven changes that “disrupt employment andcommunities”. He pinpointed an increase in consultants advising businesses to movefunctions abroad as the chief culprits. “These are people who may havemade fortunes out of mergers and acquisitions in previous years,” he said.”And now they want their new Porsche paid for by the fashion foroffshoring.” Lyons cited a recent CBI survey which showed that 43 per cent of its membersfelt under pressure to offshore, regardless of the business case or lack ofone. “We [the unions] have no objection in principle to the redistributionof work around the world,” Lyons said. “But we have seen a move bymany employers to making these types of decisions without carefully examiningthe advantages and the disadvantages.” His views were echoed by Barry Clark, partner and head of employment law atRussell Jones & Walker, who said offshoring was not a panacea for businessand, if done for the wrong reasons, can be disastrous. “Offshoring has now gone beyond call centres and the general consensusfrom the Government seems to be short-term pain for long-term gain,” hesaid. Malcolm McKinnon, head of the services and investment policy unit at theDTI, said the Government had an open mind about the whole issue and will bepublishing a White Paper in July. “We do recognise the impact of offshoring decisions, and no-one cheerswhen people lose their jobs,” he said. McKinnon added that the Governmentwas trying to maintain a balance by encouraging inward investment to the UK byoverseas companies. By Mike Berry Comments are closed. Previous Article Next Article Related posts:No related photos.
Sea ice and dust flux increased greatly in the Southern Ocean during the last glacial period. Palaeorecords provide contradictory evidence about marine productivity in this region, but beyond one glacial cycle, data were sparse. Here we present continuous chemical proxy data spanning the last eight glacial cycles (740,000 years) from the Dome C Antarctic ice core. These data constrain winter sea-ice extent in the Indian Ocean, Southern Ocean biogenic productivity and Patagonian climatic conditions. We found that maximum sea-ice extent is closely tied to Antarctic temperature on multi-millennial timescales, but less so on shorter timescales. Biological dimethylsulphide emissions south of the polar front seem to have changed little with climate, suggesting that sulphur compounds were not active in climate regulation. We observe large glacial–interglacial contrasts in iron deposition, which we infer reflects strongly changing Patagonian conditions. During glacial terminations, changes in Patagonia apparently preceded sea-ice reduction, indicating that multiple mechanisms may be responsible for different phases of CO2 increase during glacial terminations. We observe no changes in internal climatic feedbacks that could have caused the change in amplitude of Antarctic temperature variations observed 440,000 years ago.
September 17, 2018 /Sports News – Local SUU Men’s Basketball Signs Todd Simon To An Extension Tags: academic probation/Central Michigan/Debbie Corcum/Southern Utah University men’s basketball/Todd Simon/UNLV Written by Brad James FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailCEDAR CITY, Utah-Monday, just weeks before practice sessions for Southern Utah University’s men’s basketball commence, head coach Todd Simon was signed to an extension through the 2021-22 season.This announcement was made by SUU athletics director Debbie Corum.The men’s basketball program has improved tremendously since Simon’s arrival from UNLV in the 2016-17 season.He is currently 19-46 (.292) as the head coach of the Thunderbirds’ program, but in his second season, the Thunderbirds more than doubled their wins from his first, increasing from 13 to six.The 13 wins SUU had last season are the most for the program since 2000-01.The community has also appreciated Simon’s influence on the program as the Thunderbirds finished fourth in attendance in the Big Sky Conference last season.Corum spoke glowingly of Simon Monday as well, saying he came to the program at a time when it was in danger of academic probation and has made his student-athletes studious.Simon, a native of Fowler, Mich., has a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan with a double major in sport studies and management information system in 2003.He earned his master’s in sport education leadership from UNLV in 2010.
Not only has our food, cars, insurance, retail shopping, and just about anything else you can think of been propelled forward into a technology-driven world. And so too has property.As companies like Amazon and Uber dominating their markets, so they are transforming the way customers buy goods and services.And now there’s proptech, the coined phrase for the collision of the property and technology worlds.This means landlords can no longer rely on outdated methods of finding people to rent their homes.Tenants, particularly those under 30 years old who are the largest demographic in the market, are searching online for their next home, not in agent’s shop windows.This shift not only paves the way for online agents like Upad it also means landlords need to become technology-savvy and up their game.Much as the Yellow Pages is a thing of the past, so traditional lettings services will soon be too as landlords turn to more manageable and cost-effective solutions for promoting their rental properties.Our research shows 92% of tenants go online to search for their next rental home and 91% said good photos where their number one concern.In a technology driven world, we want information and we want it now.It’s important that landlords post adverts with top-quality photos to attract tenants because, in a competitive property market, presentation is everything.Also, 46% of tenants use mobile apps to search for their next rental property, a trend that’s on the increase and means that landlords should think about how their ads appear on mobile devices.And given that Rightmove has a 77% share of the online portal market, it’s even more important that listings look their best to attract the most tenants.james davis online agents upad 2017-10-05Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed. Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021 Home » Guest Blogs » Upad boss: traditional letting agents will soon go the way of Yellow Pages Upad boss: traditional letting agents will soon go the way of Yellow PagesThe online agent’s founder and CEO explains why he thinks purely traditional agents have a limited shelf life, and that landlords need to play the Rightmove game to get the most viewings.James Davis5th October 201701,468 Views
After confirming that some 300+ employees were made redundant over the weekend and that it has closed a significant number of branches across its group branch network, Spicerhaart CEO Paul Smith has revealed why the cull had to take place and asked for understanding.In a statement released a few minutes ago, he says details of the government’s plans to offer help to businesses affected by Coronavirus came too late for Spicerhaart, which he says is facing a 90% reduction in property sales income.Smith says although he is ‘very sorry’ for the redundancies, he says many other estate agencies are facing the same challenges and may follow suit. This is his statement.“As a result of the coronavirus outbreak, we have had to take the very difficult decision to lay off some of our staff.“The remainder – around 1,750 – are now working from home and our branches are temporarily closed in order to keep our staff and customers safe. Most of our branches will re-open when it is safe to do so.“We totally understand the challenges and hardship that this very difficult decision will have for the staff who’ve been laid off, especially at this time of crisis with Covid-19. We have apologised to the individuals concerned and will be discussing their leaving terms with them.“We had to act quickly in order to safeguard the business as a whole as the industry is facing the prospect of up to 90% less income coming in from property sales with best estimates suggesting it could be six to nine months before transaction volumes return – and even then, there’s no guarantee.Go to the wall“I doubt if any estate agency, large or small, can survive with just a fraction of their income for nine months and we will see many agencies go to the wall if they don’t take action now.“We have been criticised for not keeping staff on so they can claim 80% of their salary from the Government – but without any clarity of what this means for estate agents we had to act.“The 80% is only for those who can’t work during this outbreak – it’s unclear at present whether agents’ normal activities would fall into that category.“If the Chancellor had extended the business rates payment holiday to estate agents or offered us grants or subsidies as he had done to retailers, it would have made all the difference.“I have requested, via my local MP, that Rishi Sunak rethink the business rates relief and include estate agents.Epidemic“At the same time, we had to take on board the Government’s advice about social distancing and self-isolation, given the speed at which the coronavirus epidemic is escalating in the UK.“This meant temporarily closing all our branches on Friday and setting up systems and technology so that our staff can work from home, which was a huge undertaking by our IT and telecoms team.“I am so desperately sad that a few of our branches will never re-open and I would like to thank all those staff who worked there for all their hard work. I hope, one day, they will understand that this was a decision that was completely out of my hands.“Having been contacted by many others in the industry, I know we are not alone in taking this drastic action to let people go; many other estate agencies are following suit and I know of hundreds of job losses so far across the industry.“Hopefully, out of adversity will come new operating models as agents strive to be innovative to face the challenges ahead.“What many people are failing to grasp is that this pandemic will have major consequences for society as a whole, not just our industry. And we’re only just at the start.” haart CEO Paul Smith spicerhaart March 23, 2020Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021 Home » News » Agencies & People » Spicerhaart boss reveals why 300 jobs have been cut despite government help previous nextAgencies & PeopleSpicerhaart boss reveals why 300 jobs have been cut despite government helpCEO Paul Smith says his hands were tied by the vague nature of the government’s plans so far and the rapid way Coronavirus has affected the sales market in particular.Nigel Lewis23rd March 202008,775 Views